The East Jerusalem YMCA was established in 1949 in a tent in Aqabat Jaber Refugee Camp, near Jericho . Today, the YMCA operates a variety of programs and activities consistent with its vision for Holistic Youth Development. These programs respond directly to the needs of people within all sectors of Palestinian society without discrimination. Special emphasis is given to young men and women.
The East Jerusalem building was built in 1963, located on Nablus Rd. , just outside the Old City walls , in Jerusalem . From here the Head Quarters, the Program Department and the hotel operate. The hotel was temporarily closed in 2001 as a result of the current political situation that has deterred tourists from visiting the Holy Land
Responding to the needs of the community the purpose of the Program Department is to foster the body, mind and sprit development and well being of its community especially youth, therefore, this has been translated into several programs and activities which serves the Palestinian community in Jerusalem and the West Bank, giving priority to youth, women and people with special needs.
The program works with the community from its quarters in Jerusalem and the YMCA centers in Ramallah, Beit Sahour and Jericho ; in addition to use facilities of clubs, schools and youth centers all over the West Bank to reach as many youth as possible.
Read more about the activities in East Jerusalem branch: